June 20, 2008

Café life in Paris

Finding the perfect café in my neighborhood is a difficult task, but I have my eye on one at the end of the block, Café Rousseau, that looks quite nice from the outside (so many variables, some cafes are too crowded and cramped, some have really uncomfortable seats, others focus more on being brasseries or bistros, some just look like Starbucks and others are full of tourists (Café La Flore was full of tourists, but it does have a great quiet upstairs – although the prices!)).  A full exploration of the Café Rousseau will be needed, over tea will be on the agenda (tomorrow afternoon, after French class?).

A great discovery right around the corner from my apartment -- lovely little bakery, which is apparently quite famous, called Poilâne, Catherine Deneuve apparently shops there.  (I bought a yummy brioche).  I also went over to the 8th to an amazing food store called Fauchon.  It carries all sorts of caviars, foie gras, confiture, teas.  I contemplated a $400 an ounce caviar or a $300 a kilo pate, but got instead some blueberry jam and country pâté. Over the next week or so, I want to find a really good cheese shop (I have the name of a potential one in the 14th , called Androuet), a patisserie and chocolate shop (perhaps Tartine et Chocolat in the 7th?).  

No comments: